Troy Kirby is a prodigious sports business podcaster and a sports business lifer working on the ticketing side of the business at UC Davis. Troy has released over 350 podcast interviews since launching the Tao of Sports podcast in 2012 and he was one of the reasons I started podcasting. Troy stopped by the Sports Geek office on a recent trip to Melbourne for a great discussion around podcasting but also Troy’s sports business career in ticket sales.
On this podcast you’ll learn from Troy Kirby about:
- How Troy paid for his own way into ticket sales and how it paid off
- How the Octomom got Troy started in podcasting
- The importance of always learning in sports market
- Why ticketing relationship is like a marriage
- What should have the AFL & Collingwood done to fix crowds on Sunday night
- Why ESPN and FIFA are upset with Vine
- How will Snappy TV acquisition change sports rights online?
Resources from the episode
- Follow Troy Kirby @SportsTao on Twitter and connect with him on Linkedin
- Listen to Tao of Sports (iTunes)or read his articles on Ticketing Today
- “Why I proposed to a conference attendee” great analogy for ticketing by Troy
- Stay tuned for a return chat with myself on Tao of Sports podcast.
- Listen to previous chat with Charlotte
BobcatsHornets CRM guru Chris Zeppenfeld on selling tickets
- Snappy TV joining the Flock (aka Twitter)
- Maria Sharapova feels the online wrath of Indian cricket fans
- Who is the OctoMom? Here is a link to Troy’s interview
- Background on Troy’s comments on AFL crowd numbers on Sunday night footy with Eddie McGuire, listen to previous podcast on AFL Variable Pricing
- Follow @SEATConference on Twitter and Instagram and like SEAT on Facebook
- Listen to my chat with Neil Horowitz on Digital and Social Media in Sports podcast
- Listen to podcast in out SEAT 2014 Sponsor Series
- Sound of the game was from my recent visit to see Barcelona FC in action with Neymar Jr and Messi in action.
- Connect with all guests of the podcast and check out the podcast archive
- Thanks for iTunes reviews in Australian iTunes and USA iTunes.
- Have you signed up for weekly Sports Geek News?
Ask Wimbledon if Vine is a problem…
This Vine went viral, wouldn’t they prefer views on their digital platforms?
SEAT 2014 is SOLD OUT
Attendance for SEAT 2014 is up 60% from last year. Hope to see you there. Don’t forget to send in your best content and campaigns so I can profile them at #SEAT2014, email me or use contact form. If you want to connect with sports executives then Miami is the place to be, put your name on wait list for tickets.
Listening via iTunes?
Subscribe to the Sports Geek Podcast in iTunes, if you liked the episode please leave a review on iTunes and help spread the word on your network. Thanks in advance.