Sean Callanan chats with Western Bulldogs CEO Ameet Bains on this episode of Sports Geek – CEO Series.
On this podcast you'll learn about:
- How Ameet's legal background gave him a start in sports industry
- Lawyers and list management, how footy changed
- Gaining a balance between operations and commercial outcomes
- Why the West continues to be the backbone of the Bulldogs
- How the Bulldogs partnership with Ballarat sets them apart from other Melbourne AFL clubs
- How the introduction of AFLW has changed the club and Whitten Oval
- How Ameet is connected to another Sports Geek podcast guest
Listen to Ameet Bains on Sports Geek
About Ameet Bains
Ameet Bains started as a corporate lawyer. Being with Minter Ellison for five years, he has worked across many industries including health, fuel, energy and automotive. This experience led him to head the legal department of Toyota Australia. In 2011, Ameet made his way in the sports industry as St Kilda Football Club's General Manager of Player List and Legal Affairs. Back there, he was responsible for all aspects of the club's list management, player contracts, salary cap and player movement. He was also oversees the club's legal and risk management, governance and strategy including football operations, player conduct and commercial operations. After four years with the club, he was promoted as their Chief Operating Officer and General Counsel. In 2017, Ameet joined the Western Bulldogs Football Club as the Chief Executive Officer up to this date.
Resources from the podcast
- Connect with Ameet Bains on Twitter @ameet_bains and LinkedIn
- Learn more about Western Bulldogs on Twitter @westernbulldogs, Facebook, Instagram, Youtube and Snapchat
- Some related articles about Western Bulldogs you might want to read:
- Some Sports Geek episodes you might be interested in:
- Nick Truelson on the historic Western Bulldogs premiership win
- AFLW players leading the way for girls to play footy
- Cassandra Heilbron on sports & sponsorship law
- Nick Holland – footballer, lawyer to CEO
- Download the SG Esports Connecting brands with esports report here
- Need help with your team or athlete's digital? Go to Sports Geek Social Media Athlete Training
- Learn more about Sports Geek's Digital to Dollars process
- Loved this podcast episode? Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts
Some tweets you may have missed:
The West is #AFLFinals ready.
🔴⚪️🔵 #MightyWest pic.twitter.com/f0suUfy4lO
— Western Bulldogs (@westernbulldogs) September 2, 2019
Happy 100th birthday to @westernbulldogs legend Jim Miller. Past player of 131 games, 10 year Club Committee member / President & WWII veteran. Terrific to have you at the Club today celebrating! pic.twitter.com/vVbPVtnXU4
— Ameet Bains (@Ameet_Bains) May 30, 2019
Unfortunately the Bulldogs AFL Finals campaign ended against GWS Giants
Clearly not the end we envisaged but plenty for our young & determined @westernbulldogs group to be proud of in 2019
Thanks to all our amazing loyal & passionate fans for your support this year & those who made the journey north 🙏🏽
Excited for a big 2020 #MightyWest pic.twitter.com/AfVmwhVNgc
— Ameet Bains (@Ameet_Bains) September 7, 2019
Pick my brain
Want some help on a campaign, sponsorship or content but don’t know where to start? Book a time with Sean Callanan for a Pick My Brain session.
The Pick my brain session is a two-hour video consulting session where you can get Sean’s thoughts and opinions on ticketing or sponsorship campaigns, campaign development and digital content review.
See you at SEAT in Salt Lake City
Join us at SEAT Conference in Salt Lake City Utah on July 14-15 2023. Many of our podcast guests are SEAT attendees.
SEAT is the conference where sports technology executives unite to discuss and solve the tech problems the sports industry is facing. Collaboration across multiple tracks of technology, digital and data has helped the sports industry deliver improvements across stadium access, wi-fi, security, fan engagement, social media, digital content, ticketing and sponsorship revenue. Sean Callanan, Sports Geek