Ted Johnson is the Chief Marketing Officer of the Minnesota Timberwolves and has a background in politics that has served him well helping the Minnesota Timberwolves upgrade practice facility and their home court the Target Center.
On this podcast you’ll learn from about:
- How NBA teams are in an arms race for better facilities for players & coaches
- Importance of partners for Timberwolves to get project up
- Value of having a facility close to team operations
- Excitement in Minnesota around the arrival of Andrew Wiggins
- Why Ricky Rubio recognised my Australian accent
- What is Dunks after Dark?
- How the new NBA deal is a win-win for NBA
- Why I played a game of football with some Socceroos
- How you can with a Sports Geek T-Shirt.
Resources from the episode
- Follow Ted Johnson (@TedJohnsonMN) on Twitter connect with him on Linkedin.
- Follow @MNTimberwolves on Twitter, @MNTimberwolves on Instagram and Facebook
- Look back at the 2011 Draft when I was on Timberwolves Draft coverage, we helped Timberwolves trend during 2011 Draft
- Check out Ted's presentation from a conference I spoke with him in Sydney and Auckland in 2010, still very relevant
- Twitter announce audio cards with Soundcloud, are you following Sports Geek on Soundcloud?
- Grab your tickets to the Asian Cup go to AFCAsianCup.com/Tickets
- Here is how I am tracking with my Anything's Possible List
- Grab your ticket to @SEATConference in San Francisco in 2015 and SEAT London like SEAT on Facebook
- SEAT Conference announces SEAT London in 2015 – Registrations open now!
- Sign up to download the Sports Geek NFL Look Book
- Listen to Richard Clarke talk about Arsenal SoundCloud on episode 47
- Sound of the game was from Arsenal SoundCloud channel.
- Connect with all guests of the podcast and check out the podcast archive
- Thanks for iTunes reviews in Australian iTunes and USA iTunes.
- Have you signed up for weekly Sports Geek News?
What the Timberwolves have been up to
Follow the Timberwolves
For all your #Twolves behind-the-scenes content and prize giveaways make sure to follow our other social platforms! pic.twitter.com/0Psp602Mhk
— Timberwolves (@Timberwolves) October 19, 2014
Why Ted and Timberwolves fans are excited
Two days later and we're still replaying these… #Twolves https://t.co/uKq9Qs5U8w
— Timberwolves (@Timberwolves) October 13, 2014
Great turnout to welcome them
Whew. What a day! Congrats to one hell of a MarCom group who pulled together today's announcement! #EyesOnTheRise pic.twitter.com/gDPKVEQzLo
— Ted Johnson (@TedJohnsonMN) August 26, 2014
Dunks after Dark practice
Dunks, on dunks, on dunks. View the photo's from last night's #DunksAfterDark event: http://t.co/pA63Qh09ib pic.twitter.com/m4WxDvPxGt
— Timberwolves (@Timberwolves) September 30, 2014
Wiggins and LaVine at #DunksAfterDark! https://t.co/ARtRZPQlPq
— Timberwolves (@Timberwolves) September 30, 2014
Some memories of NBA Draft, this bar is now where the new practice facility is.
Fun memories from 2011 #NBADraft with @MNTimberwolves hectic night of Kahn trades nearly included in a deal myself 😉 pic.twitter.com/oEpFDcOji8
— Sean Callanan (@seancallanan) June 27, 2014
Why I was so sore recording this podcast
Chasing after these two former Socceroos at AAMI Park – Mark Bosnich and Craig Moore
A lot of fun on the pitch with these blokes, 78 days until @afcasiancup #AC2015 pic.twitter.com/zk25yp0Aem
— Sean Callanan (@seancallanan) October 23, 2014
Social Media Post of the Week
Geography not the Falcons strong suit…
Worst graphic ever? 1) It's two planes to London. 2) That's not even London. 3) Just look at the UK. #NFL pic.twitter.com/a3mK74Szej
— Matt Jones (@mr_mdjones) October 22, 2014
But they do have a sense of humour
The good news is, we made it to the correct country. Sorry about that. We're brushing up on our geography. pic.twitter.com/43dC00SX53
— Atlanta Falcons (@AtlantaFalcons) October 22, 2014
Listening via iTunes?
Subscribe to the Sports Geek Podcast in iTunes, if you liked the episode please leave a review on iTunes and help spread the word on your network. Thanks in advance.
Want to pick my brain?
I get asked all the time for people to pick my brain over a coffee or a phone call. My brain is my business, but I am a giving guy. If you are a subscriber to Sports Geek News (below) and are happy to be included on a future podcast I am happy to chat to you about how you can engage sports fans for your team or brand.
See you at SEAT in Salt Lake City
Join us at SEAT Conference in Salt Lake City Utah on July 14-15 2023. Many of our podcast guests are SEAT attendees.
SEAT is the conference where sports technology executives unite to discuss and solve the tech problems the sports industry is facing. Collaboration across multiple tracks of technology, digital and data has helped the sports industry deliver improvements across stadium access, wi-fi, security, fan engagement, social media, digital content, ticketing and sponsorship revenue. Sean Callanan, Sports Geek