Matt Scully discusses his sports startup story with Sports Where I Am that solves the problems sports tourists face when planning trips to and around their favourite sports team and events.
On this podcast you'll learn about:
- How Sports Where I Am started and how it evolved through the years
- Matt Scully's transition from working on a full-time job to startup
- How SWIAM makes purchasing tickets easier for travelers
- How fans and teams can both benefit from Sports Where I Am
- Future plans on expanding Sports Where I Am
Listen to Matt Scully on Sports Geek
Matt Scully quote
It’s the travel – this is obviously what sets us apart when we talk about “Why us?” but we really focus on that traveller and that travel occasion and everything that goes around that.
Matt Scully on what sets SWIAM apart
Resources from the podcast
- Connect with Matt Scully on LinkedIn and on Sports Geek Nation Slack
- Connect with Benn Scully on Sports Geek Nation Slack and soon on Linkedin
- Follow Sports Where I Am on Twitter @sportswhereiam, Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Snapchat and LinkedIn
- Download Sports Where I Am app on Apple App Store and Google Play
- Use the code SPORTSGEEK for 10% off on tickets with Sports Where I Am
- Some related articles you might want to read more about Sports Where I Am:
- The new Sports Where I Am features explained
- World sports calendars for travellers and the sports-mad
- Some Sports Geek episodes you might be interested in:
- Ben Reynolds from Spalk talk about startup
- Matthew Pavlich from AFL to startup world
- The Yinzcam story with Priya Narasimhan
- Get Nura Headphones with a friends discount on sportsgeekhq.com/headphones
- Loved this podcast episode? Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts
- Check out the Digital to Dollars website as discussed on the podcast
- Join Sports Geek Nation to connect with sports business executives across the world.
- Follow the conversations in Facebook to share best practices. Join the Sports Geek Nation FB Group now
Highlights from podcast with Matt Scully
3:39 Matt Scully and his brother Benn discuss what Sports Where I Am offers sports tourists
5:04 How the idea of building Sports Where I Am came about
8:46 Matt's transition from a full time job to starting up a business – the corporate escape
15:42 The challenges of a startup especially funding and how one key meeting changed the game
25:58 Benn on how community is so important for Sports Where I Am digital strategy
33:07 How ticketing differs for every sport and country and why Sports Where I am works
36:48 Matt on how the ticketing game continues to change
40:13 How they are targeting sports tourists
46:54 Where is Sports Where I Am headed?
49:00 How AFL Legend Nick Riewoldt got involved in the business
52:48 Sports Geek Closing Five
62:00 Don't forget to use the code SPORTSGEEK for 10% off at Sports Where I Am
63:00 Sports Geek Nation AMAs September lineup and content
67:00 Sean chats about Above All Human Conference experience
69:00 What does Sean think of Nura Headphones? Access 20% friends discount via sportsgeekhq.com/headphones
Sports Where I am explainers
How Sports Where I Am makes attending sports events easier
The Riewoldts trying out SWIAM features
Some tweets/posts you may have missed
Really good feedback from SWIAM users
Now this is an impressive travel itinerary: 10 different sports events in the space of a month! 😮
Here’s a quick sample of SWIAM user Damon’s adventures in the USA🇺🇸.
“Made it home yesterday after a fantastic month. Can’t thank @sportswhereiam enough for all the help!” pic.twitter.com/Nr8CjUFfJ8
— Sports Where I Am (@sportswhereiam) May 8, 2018
"The seats were fantastic!! Thanks again, will highly recommend Sports Where I Am!"
Thanks to Bec and Darren for the kind words and this great shot from a White Sox game at Guaranteed Rate Field! 🇺🇸✈ pic.twitter.com/RG4mHAX5jO
— Sports Where I Am (@sportswhereiam) July 19, 2018
"Thanks to @sportswhereiam for the great hook up with tickets for the @Dodgers game!"
Looks like Los Angeles really turned it on for Ben's day at Dodger Stadium yesterday ☀️⚾️👌 pic.twitter.com/EmqIIjnMqa
— Sports Where I Am (@sportswhereiam) June 29, 2018
Thanks for the review on Apple Podcasts
Terrific for sports professionals
★★★★★ in Apple Podcasts by Soxboy46 from USA on May 5, 2017
The Sports Geek Podcast by Sean Callanan is a great sports podcast and does a deep dive into the business side of sports. He has educational guests who are knowledgable on the ever-changing digital and media landscape. This is must-subscribe podcast.
See you at SEAT in Salt Lake City
Join us at SEAT Conference in Salt Lake City Utah on July 14-15 2023. Many of our podcast guests are SEAT attendees.
SEAT is the conference where sports technology executives unite to discuss and solve the tech problems the sports industry is facing. Collaboration across multiple tracks of technology, digital and data has helped the sports industry deliver improvements across stadium access, wi-fi, security, fan engagement, social media, digital content, ticketing and sponsorship revenue. Sean Callanan, Sports Geek
Listen to Sports Geek
Book with Sports Where I Am
Sports Where I Am is a sports travel startup helping fans find a book sports events in over 200 cities worldwide.
They are located a few steps away from Sports Geek HQ at Creative Cubes so we can offer 10% off your next ticket purchase using the code SPORTSGEEK.