Sean Callanan chats with John Durbin from Pegula Sports about planning the unpredictable NFL Draft and how to get fans to use apps and why loyalty has evolved.
On this podcast you'll learn about:
- John Durbin from working in media to getting into the world of sports
- How Buffalo Bills prepare for the NFL Draft
- The creative process behind the Buffalo Bills schedule release video
- How Pegula Sports and Entertainment (PSE) is handling their teams in the market
- Why fans should download the My One Buffalo mobile app
- How sports loyalty game is changing
- The benefits of being a Buffalo Sabres season ticket holder
Listen to John Durbin on Sports Geek
John Durbin on the importance of NFL schedule release for the Buffalo Bills
We as a brand, one of the ways that I try to think about brand is world creation. What world have you created that you want to invite people into. For us on the Bills' side it's really about Sunday. The world revolves around Sunday. You look at a schedule release where you need to know what Sundays you need to have free. That's always been a big event for us.
About John Durbin
John Durbin started his career as a media buyer and planner at Starcom Mediavest Group in Chicago where he worked with clients like the US Army National Strategy and Kellogg's Kids. Few years later, he moved to Denuo, a Publicis Groupe Company as an Associate Director. During his time there, he worked on the creative side of the business handling projects around mobile gaming, socials and other emerging trends. He also led the development of the Mercedes-Benz Tweet race which was shortlisted for Cannes Lions.
In 2012, John pursued his MBA at the University of Oregon. In his time there, he created the Oregon Vs, a unique fantasy sports game focused on the Oregon Ducks football. After completing his MBA, he moved to the Buffalo Sabres which started his stint at Pegula Sports.
At present, John is the Vice President of Marketing of Pegula Sports and Entertainment (PSE). He oversees the marketing efforts for the Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres, Bandits of the NLL, Beauts of the NWHL Americans of the AHL, and My One Buffalo along with several brands residing within the Harbor Center facility.
Resources from the podcast
- Connect with John Durbin on Twitter @pse_durbin and LinkedIn
- Learn more about Pegula Sports on Twitter @pegulase and LinkedIn
- Download My One Buffalo app on Apple Store and Google Play
- Some related articles about Pegula Sports you might want to read:
- Some Sports Geek episodes you might be interested in:
- Stadiums, fans & technology with Al Guido from SF 49ers
- Social, AR & OTT Kansas City Chiefs style with James Royer
- Dave Sjolin on sports website development and fan loyalty
- See the other NFL teams schedule release videos as we ranked them
- Download the SG Esports Connecting brands with esports report here
- Need help with your team or athlete's digital? Go to Sports Geek Social Media Athlete Training
- Learn more about Sports Geek's Digital to Dollars process
- Loved this podcast episode? Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts
- Join Sports Geek Nation to connect with sports business executives across the world
- Sports Geek Nation AMA with Geoff Wilson full transcript (members only) and highlights now available
Highlights from podcast with John Durbin
5:48 John Durbin’s journey from media to sports business
11:44 John chats about Pegula Sports and Entertainment (PSE)
12:58 How marketing in different sports has changed over the years
14:56 How his team prepares for unpredictable events like in NFL Draft
18:18 How do the comms and media teams work together at PSE
19:17 John on keeping exclusive information like trades and drafts within the organisation
22:43 The preparations behind the Bills’ schedule release video
28:49 How does PSE handles the two teams (Bills and Sabres) in the market
32:45 What does the My One Buffalo app do and why you should download it
43:26 The benefits of being a Sabres season ticket holder
48:44 Sports Geek Closing Five
60:02 Learn more about Sports Geek’s Digital to Dollars process
60:05 Read what Sean Callanan reads on Sports Geek News. Go to sportsgeekhq.com/sgn to subscribe
60:06 Learn more about esports, game and fan development on SG Esports Newsletter. Subscribe now on sgesports.com
60:08 Need Sean’s help on your campaigns, assets and more? Book in a Pick My Brain session to know his thoughts now
Buffalo Bills' schedule release video
The Bills' Tinder style schedule release video. Aren't you swiping right?
Hey 2019 opponents…
Sup? 😏 pic.twitter.com/JPpU3Wu4FH
— Buffalo Bills (@buffalobills) April 18, 2019
Some tweets you may have missed:
Cool draft video for the Buffalo Bills
8 new players are heading to Buffalo.
Get to know our 2019 Draft Class. 🙌 #GoBills pic.twitter.com/oiJbkGDIob
— Buffalo Bills (@buffalobills) May 1, 2019
The team coming together for One Bills Drive
GM Jason Botterill was taking in the scene at One Bills Drive tonight. #OneBuffalo pic.twitter.com/zqfsyKMpTg
— Buffalo Sabres (@BuffaloSabres) April 26, 2019
Must be really cool to watch the NFL draft at the 716 food and sport
Welcome to Buffalo, @Edoliver_11 !! @buffalobills #GoBills 🙌🙌 pic.twitter.com/bZBtTdfqaY
— (716) Food and Sport (@716FoodandSport) April 26, 2019
Pick my brain
Want some help on a campaign, sponsorship or content but don't know where to start? Book in a time with Sean Callanan for a Pick my brain session.
The Pick my brain session is a two hour consulting session via GoToMeeting where you can get Sean's thoughts and opinions on ticketing or sponsorship campaigns, campaign development and digital content review.
Thanks for the review on Apple Podcasts
Informative, interesting sports.biz discussions
★★★★★ in Apple Podcasts by Mmmbop86 from UK on February 1, 2017
Good interviews with a wide range of individuals from the world of sports business providing insight into the latest trends – particularly useful to those in another hemisphere! Suggest keeping to 30-40min max for best engagement. Keep up the good work.
See you at SEAT in Salt Lake City
Join us at SEAT Conference in Salt Lake City Utah on July 14-15 2023. Many of our podcast guests are SEAT attendees.
SEAT is the conference where sports technology executives unite to discuss and solve the tech problems the sports industry is facing. Collaboration across multiple tracks of technology, digital and data has helped the sports industry deliver improvements across stadium access, wi-fi, security, fan engagement, social media, digital content, ticketing and sponsorship revenue. Sean Callanan, Sports Geek