Sean sits down with Brandon Defina GM of Gravitas to discuss our entry into esports and what we have learned after our very first season in OPL.
On this podcast you'll learn about:
- Brandon “Juves” Defina on how his sports career from playing soccer to esports
- The challenges of managing a new esports team in the OPL
- How the Sports Geek processes and tools helped in developing Gravitas
- What does high performance looks like for an esports team
- What were the hits and misses in Gravitas content point of view
- Why Twitch is the primary game streaming platform
- Plans for Gravitas in the OPL Split 2
Listen to Brandon “Juves” Defina on Sports Geek
Our fave quote from the podcast
When you're a player, it's like you can have your blinkers on pretty much and it's the game focus. But stepping into this [GM role], it's like there are so many relationships you can make and so many people that you can help and can help you and it's the biggest thing I've learned.
Brandon Defina on what he has learned as Gravitas GM
About Brandon “Juves” Defina
Brandon “Juves” Defina began his sports journey as a soccer player at the university where he was studying Exercise Science. It was an injury that made him shift from contact sport to esports. At the time he was on rehab for his injury, Brandon will be home playing FIFA on the PlayStation with his friends. He was challenged by his friends to try League of Legends – the first game he ever played on a personal computer and the rest was history.
In 2015, Brandon played jungle for Sin Gaming, a League of Legends team in the Oceanic Pro League (OPL). He is well known by the name “Juves” in League of Legends, a name in reference to the Italian soccer club Juventus FC. Juves also played under a Mammoth jersey when the team acquired Sin Gaming in 2018.
Juves was also active in promoting mental health awareness for esports athletes. He was an athlete ambassador for Headspace in 2018 supporting mental health awareness for athletes.
In 2019, Juves became the General Manager of Gravitas, SG Esports' League of Legends team in the OPL.
Resources from the podcast
- Connect with Brandon “Juves” Defina on Twitter @SINJuves, LinkedIn and Twitch
- Learn more about Gravitas on Twitter @GravitasOCE, Facebook, Instagram and Twitch
- Some related articles you might want to read:
- Some Sports Geek episodes you might be interested in:
- Sports Geek OPL story
- Daniel Ringland from Riot Games on esports growth
- ESL's Nick Vanzetti on esports and the power of live events
- Dave Harris from Dire Wolves on bringing high performance to esports
- Missed SG Esports Connecting brands with esports event? Download report here
- Need help with your team or athlete's digital? Go to Sports Geek Social Media Athlete Training
- Learn more about Sports Geek's Digital to Dollars process
- Loved this podcast episode? Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts
- Join Sports Geek Nation to connect with sports business executives across the world
- Already a member of Sports Geek Nation? Check out the AMA with Andrew Wray on the Members Area
- Read the highlight from the session – Andrew Wray on Snowball Esports’ criteria in selecting the esports leagues and tournaments to cover
Highlights from podcast with Brandon Defina
4:21 Brandon Defina chats about his sports background
7:33 The ecosystem of League of Legends
8:30 How Brandon aka “Juves” in the League of Legends space joined the pro league
13:51 What it was like to be managing Gravitas from a former player’s point of view
17:03 How did the Sports Geek processes and tools worked in building Gravitas
27:27 What does high performance looked like in esports
29:04 How Juves helps the Gravitas boys have the right mindset before the games
31:35 The challenges of having a new role and a new team
33:16 What were the wins and losses in the content point of view for Gravitas
39:43 Why Twitch is the primary streaming platform for gaming
47:00 Sports Geek Closing Five
53:43 Get the latest esports news and what brands are doing in the space. Sign up to SG Esports News on sgesports.com
54:08 Learn more about Gravitas on gravitas.gg
Some tweets you may have missed:
Memorable moments from Gravitas' first OPL split
Here's a look back to our greatest moments this season. Thanks for your support #GravitasGlory https://t.co/eKAg9oiuQy
— Gravitas (@GravitasOCE) March 28, 2019
Goofing around with the boys
Literally on their phones pic.twitter.com/PilPqQ2tg0
— Brandon Defina (@SINJuves) February 23, 2019
Supporting OPL and Recall and Restore
We support @riotgames and @OPL's Recall and Restore initiative to raise awareness in mental health and wellbeing of #LoL players https://t.co/sfpgIDam2T #GravitasGlory #IAMOPL
— Gravitas (@GravitasOCE) March 15, 2019
Example of our Instagram stories, after just missing out on Gauntlet.
Support SG Esports team Gravitas playing on the OPL Season of the League of Legends. Stay in the loop and get the latest news about the team, players and the league. Visit gravitas.gg now.
Pick my brain
Want some help on a campaign, sponsorship or content but don't know where to start? Book in a time with Sean Callanan for a Pick my brain session.
The Pick my brain session is a two hour consulting session via GoToMeeting where you can get Sean's thoughts and opinions on ticketing or sponsorship campaigns, campaign development and digital content review.
See you at SEAT in Salt Lake City
Join us at SEAT Conference in Salt Lake City Utah on July 14-15 2023. Many of our podcast guests are SEAT attendees.
SEAT is the conference where sports technology executives unite to discuss and solve the tech problems the sports industry is facing. Collaboration across multiple tracks of technology, digital and data has helped the sports industry deliver improvements across stadium access, wi-fi, security, fan engagement, social media, digital content, ticketing and sponsorship revenue. Sean Callanan, Sports Geek