Dave Donaghy discusses his rise in sports from journo, footy admin to now CEO of Melbourne Storm. Find out more about Storm's growth strategy and why fans are crucial to the continued success of the club.
On this podcast you'll learn about:
- Dave Donaghy from being a journalist to entering sports
- His main focus upon taking on the role as Melbourne Storm's CEO
- Dave's take on Melbourne Storm's coach Craig Bellamy retirement rumours
- Melbourne Storm's partnership with University of Sunshine Coast for Super Netball
- Our Storm project – exploring the fan ownership model
- The crazy Grand Final week story
Listen to Dave Donaghy on Sports Geek
Our fave quote from Dave Donaghy interview
“For us to be competitively smart we have to grow our fan base first and foremost.”
Resources from the podcast
- Connect with Dave Donaghy on Twitter @DaveDonaghy11 and LinkedIn
- Follow Melbourne Storm on Twitter @storm, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn
- Some related articles you might want to read more about Melbourne Storm
- Some Sports Geek episodes you might be interested in:
- Kurt Brutton on Brisbane Broncos digital and brand
- Anthony Alsop from Brisbane Lions on knowing your fans and market
- How athletes or player groups manage the demands of social media? Go to Sports Geek Social Media Athlete Training
- Loved this podcast episode? Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts
- Join Sports Geek Nation to connect with sports business executives across the world.
- See the highlights from Sports Geek Nation AMA with Andrew Walton
Highlights from podcast with Dave Donaghy
5:12 Dave Donaghy on how he started his journey into sports
9:20 Dave on his move from NRL to AFL
10:00 The difference in working in an NRL club and an AFL club
11:00 The changes in Melbourne Storm on Dave’s return
13:05 Taking on the new role as Storm’s new CEO
14:00 What were his top priorities for Melbourne Storm
17:12 How Melbourne Storm position brands to sponsors
19:41 Melbourne Storm goals in the next five years
22:40 Building a partnership with Sunshine Coast
29:13 Dave’s take on the retirement rumours of Storm’s head coach Craig Bellamy
35:48 Our Storm project on exploring fan ownership model
40:20 Sports Geek Closing Five
47:00 Crazy Grand Final week story involving private jets, tribunals and Billy Slater
54:55 Learn the Sports Geek digital process. Visit digitaltodollars.com
55:47 Join the community of sports business professionals on Sports Geek Nation
55:58 Read what Sports Geek reads. Subscribe to Sports Geek News
56:17 Got questions you want Sean to answer? Ask away in Slack
Some tweets/posts you may have missed
The viral tweet from a busy Grand Final week
As meticulous in his preparation for tonight as he is for games. Was key to the outcome. Lots of people played key roles in #freebilly – thank you, heading back home now @storm @nrl then eyes on the prize this Sunday #melbourneproud #purplepride pic.twitter.com/eTkpzmNM6b
— Dave Donaghy (@DaveDonaghy11) September 25, 2018
Hope this will come out better than Ronaldo's bust
Back page of the @theheraldsun 🤩
These two legends will be immortalised in bronze thanks to @johnerenmp 👏 #MelbourneProud pic.twitter.com/OnYVHchfHS
— Melbourne Storm (@storm) October 2, 2018
Here is what the Ronaldo bust looked like, second time is a charm.
The artist who made Ronaldo's bust a year ago got a second chance.
He did better this time. pic.twitter.com/tL8buSyfO9
— ESPN (@espn) March 29, 2018
Awesome fan support for the Storm
We have 26,621 fans at @AAMIPark tonight!
Purple army, you are making all the difference! #MelbourneProud pic.twitter.com/TbV8aWBcbL
— Melbourne Storm (@storm) September 21, 2018
Thanks for the review on Apple Podcasts
Get more Cheeks in the Seats!
★★★★★ in Apple Podcasts by [email protected] from USA on July 13, 2016
Sean interviews the best of the sports business world to teach organizations how to get more engagement & get more “cheeks in the seats”! He's fun to listen to & his passion for what he does shines through!
See you at SEAT in Salt Lake City
Join us at SEAT Conference in Salt Lake City Utah on July 14-15 2023. Many of our podcast guests are SEAT attendees.
SEAT is the conference where sports technology executives unite to discuss and solve the tech problems the sports industry is facing. Collaboration across multiple tracks of technology, digital and data has helped the sports industry deliver improvements across stadium access, wi-fi, security, fan engagement, social media, digital content, ticketing and sponsorship revenue. Sean Callanan, Sports Geek