On this week's episode, Sean chats with Anthony Alsop, General Manager for Communications at Brisbane Lions. Sean chats with Anthony about how the Lions push the envelope to rise above the digital chatter and why knowing your fans and your market is so important.
On this podcast you'll learn about:
- How Anthony got his break in sports and how his career has taken him full circle and what lured Anthony to go back to clubland at Brisbane Lions
- How the Lions' comms team work together in producing content for fans and sponsors
- How they help and support the Lions' AFLW team as they break in to footy
- What Anthony learned at Richmond as digital was starting out
- What was it like working at league level at NBA and at a broadcaster at Channel 7
Resources from the podcast
- Thanks again to Anthony Alsop from Brisbane Lions for being this week's guest
- Connect with Anthony Alsop on Twitter @anthonyalsop, Instagram and LinkedIn
- Follow Brisbane Lions on Twitter @brisbanelions, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn
- Some Sports Geek podcast episodes you might be interested in:
- How the Brisbane Lions dealt with coaching change, listen to Jarrod Price
- Jeramie McPeek on Superbowl and NBA's early years
- AFLW Players from Western Bulldogs leading the way for more girls to play footy
- Powering video across the sports social media world with Aviv Arnon from WSC
- See you at C2 Melbourne on Oct 17-19
- Follow on Twitter @C2Melbourne, Facebook, Instagram and Linkedin
- Had a blast at C2 Montreal follow on Twitter @C2Montreal, Facebook, Instagram and Linkedin
Sign up for these
- Download our new guide – Building Facebook Campaigns
- Learn to build your audiences with this guide – Understanding Facebook Data
- Have you signed up for weekly Sports Geek News?
- Have you joined the world's largest #SportsBiz Slack Community?
- Looking for a new gig? Sign up for our Sports Geek Jobs Email
Highlights from podcast with Anthony Alsop
1:45 Anthony's backstory after uni and breaking in to the sports industry
7:34 Starting out at Richmond as digital was just beginning
8:15 Delivering the best content for the international market in NBA
8:45 The key lessons and best practices he learned during his NBA stint
15:18 Anthony’s experience in working with sports and digital at Channel 7
20:40 His experience after leaving the club land and returning to Brisbane
21:47 The scope and role of the comms team in Brisbane Lions’ organisation
23:24 Competitions and challengers in Brisbane
28:12 How they are developing the Lions’ AFLW team
30:27 How his past experience in clubs benefits his current role
33:56 How his team work together in producing content for Brisbane Lions
35:30 Sports Geek Closing Five
Some tweets/posts you may have missed
Lions' new guernsey is looking good
The Lions are proud to reveal our 2018 Sir Doug Nicholls Round guernsey.
Details: https://t.co/KPNW7NQTX2 pic.twitter.com/o9CdImp6fv
— Brisbane Lions (@brisbanelions) May 29, 2018
We all know Sean loves a good shoe!
Shoe game 🔥🔥🔥 pic.twitter.com/3Pf8nLWPct
— Brisbane Lions (@brisbanelions) June 3, 2018
Great to see all AFL coaches supporting this great cause
Chris Fagan is on board for the #BigFreeze4 to support @FightMND!
What costume do you think he should wear to go down the slide? 🤔 pic.twitter.com/LdHLQW67ko
— Brisbane Lions (@brisbanelions) June 2, 2018
So much respect for Dayne Beams
We're all behind you, Dayne! ❤️🦁 pic.twitter.com/XUOT8ToMuN
— Brisbane Lions (@brisbanelions) May 23, 2018
First win of the year against Hodgey's old mob
So happy to finally get our first win after so many close games. Fair to say It was a weird feeling playing against my old mob but a big thank you for all the support in the lead up to the game from both the lions and hawthorn supporters!! 👍 pic.twitter.com/C0Cu1HdbXs
— Luke Hodge (@LHodge15) May 21, 2018
Thanks for the review on iTunes
Always something to learn
★★★★★ in Apple Podcasts by Fitzymate from USA on March 31, 2017
A must listen for anyone working on the sports industry. Sean covers a raft of topics with a strong focus on digital, marketing, sponsorship in the sports industry. He discusses these topics with a wide array of guests from multiple markets. As a result you always have something new to learn and to look to put to work whether you work agency, league or team side. Keep it up Sean!
See you at SEAT in Salt Lake City
Join us at SEAT Conference in Salt Lake City Utah on July 14-15 2023. Many of our podcast guests are SEAT attendees.
SEAT is the conference where sports technology executives unite to discuss and solve the tech problems the sports industry is facing. Collaboration across multiple tracks of technology, digital and data has helped the sports industry deliver improvements across stadium access, wi-fi, security, fan engagement, social media, digital content, ticketing and sponsorship revenue. Sean Callanan, Sports Geek