In this Sports Geek Podcast we chat to Dan Butterly from the Mountain West looking back on how the conference started and how they developed a fan base and brand for the conference over last 10 years. Twitter does a deal with NFL what does it mean for sports fans in NFL and other sports and how does Facebook counter to show it's dominance online?
More specifically, in this podcast you’ll find out about:
- Why Mountain West was formed.
- How the digital landscape has changed in past 14 years for college sports
- Why the Mountain West TV network was vital early on
- Importance of fan research for Mountain West
- Why the ESPN deal was so important to the fans for Mountain West
- What the NFL Twitter deal means for sports fans
- How Fox Sports will report Facebook chatter
- Why Telstra continue to misfire on NRL activations
Resources from the episode
- Find Dan Butterly on Twitter (@DanButterly) and Linkedin
- Find out more about Mountain West – TheMW.com and @MountainWest
- Check out the Mountain West via Social Hub
- USAA picks up Air Force's tab for football game at Navy
- United make an offer to fly Falcons via Twitter
- National Football League and Twitter Announce Strategic Partnership to Bring NFL Content to Fans around the World
- Why the NFL made Twitter its first social draft pick
- New Tools for Surfacing Conversations on Facebook
- FOX Sports Brings Real-Time Facebook Streams to the Sidelines
- Twitter testing with @MLB Twitter campaigns
- @Telstra_News trying to engage Sean via Twitter, even after this tweet
- Our discussion of Snappy TV and #Origin back in episode 8
- Chat with Manly Sea Eagles prop George Rose back in episode 4
- Please leave a question for future Sports Geek Podcast via Speakpipe for Ask Sports Geek episode
- Sound of the Game from Ireland Hurling final thanks to listener @AnthonyDinan
- Thanks to David Mackay, DT Talk, Dion Bennett for iTunes reviews in Australian iTunes and USA iTunes.
- Check out Beers, Blokes & Business podcast (BeersBlokesBusiness.com or iTunes or Stitcher)
NFL Tweets with embedded video
Hopefully my achilles recovery is this successful.
Last year Kendall Hunter suffered an Achilles tear. This year he's outrunning defenders to the endzone. WATCH – http://t.co/qQEwzycgGB
— NFL (@nfl) September 27, 2013
Facebook and TV
Subscribe to the Sports Geek Podcast in iTunes, if you liked the episode please leave a comment or rating.
If you have a question for the podcast please leave it using Speakpipe plugin on the left of this page.
See you at SEAT in Salt Lake City
Join us at SEAT Conference in Salt Lake City Utah on July 14-15 2023. Many of our podcast guests are SEAT attendees.
SEAT is the conference where sports technology executives unite to discuss and solve the tech problems the sports industry is facing. Collaboration across multiple tracks of technology, digital and data has helped the sports industry deliver improvements across stadium access, wi-fi, security, fan engagement, social media, digital content, ticketing and sponsorship revenue. Sean Callanan, Sports Geek