In the latest podcast, Sean catches up with Brian Costello from Portland Timbers. Having caught up in person in the US, Sean chatted to Brian again recently to discuss his role as Director, Digital Media/Editor in Chief at the Timbers.
On this Sports Geek Podcast you will learn about:
- What the early days of the Timbers looked like
- The long standing tradition of “Timber Joey”
- Why telling stories is his passion
- His main challenge – “Engaging fans in new and interesting ways”
- How fans are moving to mobile
- The delicate balancing act of social media vs onsite traffic
- Twitter question on “How do you report Snapchat success?”
Resources from the podcast
- Connect with Brian Costello on LinkedIn and @bacostello on Twitter
- Connect with Portland Timbers on Twitter (@TimbersFC) on Instagram (@TimbersFC) and Facebook
- Find out more about Portland Timbers and “Timber Joey” match experience
- Portland Timbers have a podcast on iTunes
- Like SEAT on Facebook and follow @SEATconference on Twitter and check out @SEATConference on Instagram
- Have you signed up for weekly Sports Geek News?
Check out latest from Portland Timbers
Players and families getting Timbers photos
Timbers Joey presents the rewards
Timbers FC fans included in to the kit
A detailed look at our kit numbers, which have Timbers fans inside the lines. You can now bid to win these kits from your favorite Timbers players with proceeds benefiting your community through @ptstandtogether. Winners get two tickets to a match, the kit and a meeting with the player himself! Hit the link in our bio to bid or text "PTFC" to 52182 #RCTID
Nice use of GIFs in highlights
Adam Kwarasey is up for @MLS Save of the Week. This is why: http://t.co/4XaIQDMBwa #RCTID pic.twitter.com/vUEyBhTNlU
— Portland Timbers (@TimbersFC) August 19, 2015
More on the story of Timbers Joey
Some photos from our visit in July
Sharing some photos from recent Sports Geek trip to USA.This from the visit to Portland Timbers
Posted by Sean Callanan on Monday, August 24, 2015
Caption this competition
Leave a comment on this episode show notes post, the best comment as judged by us will win a Sports Geek T-Shirt
Entries close August 30
Sports Geek Podcast by the numbers
Thanks for the review on iTunes
Sports Business Student
iTunes by Hhaha 1211 from Australia on August 20, 2015
Without doubt the most interesting podcast I've listened to. Every edition is packed with info on what it's like to be in the sports industry, something that is so hard to find these days. Great for people like me who are trying to gather options and ideas of where jobs may be in the future. Love your work.
How can we help you?
Brian Costello connecting the Timbers Army Transcription
See you at SEAT in Salt Lake City
Join us at SEAT Conference in Salt Lake City Utah on July 14-15 2023. Many of our podcast guests are SEAT attendees.
SEAT is the conference where sports technology executives unite to discuss and solve the tech problems the sports industry is facing. Collaboration across multiple tracks of technology, digital and data has helped the sports industry deliver improvements across stadium access, wi-fi, security, fan engagement, social media, digital content, ticketing and sponsorship revenue. Sean Callanan, Sports Geek