Cricket takes the headlines again this week but unfortunately for the wrong reasons with a poor tweet offending Indian cricket fans. We chat with Francis Leach on ABC Grandstand about that tweet and what options teams have when advertising on social media. We look back at the Year that was on Facebook & Twitter. I explain why Snapchat is not the right platform for sports and why you shouldn't bother with it.
On this podcast you’ll find out about:
- Steps you should take to avoid social media mistakes
- What ad options may work for your team
- How Facebook and Twitter thought 2013 went
- Why Snapchat is not the right platform for sports
- Why return on effort is super important
Like this episode? please leave a review in iTunes.
Resources from the episode
- Here is a screenshot of that @CricketAus tweet on Pinterest
- Daily Mail article on Cricket Australia tweet as discussed on ABC Grandstand
- Ad Age article on Edgerank dropping, will it make you buy advertising?
- Facebook Year in Review, get your own http://facebook.com/yearinreview
- Twitter #YearOnTwitter – https://2013.twitter.com
- Instagram announce Instagram Direct and Twitter allow images in DMs, take that Snapchat
- Gary Vanyerchuk's take on Snapchat
- Check out #SuperAwesomeMicroProject, launching soon.
- Sounds of the game thanks to Taylor University Silent Night from YouTube.
- Ep #28 dedicated to former Ram Marshall Faulk, special mention to my Dad who wore 28 with distinction.
- Like Francis Leach on Facebook and follow @SaintFrankly on Twitter
- Thanks for iTunes reviews in Australian iTunes and USA iTunes.
- Have you signed up for weekly Sports Geek News?
Key Facebook Topics for 2013
New Sports Geek Office
We have moved to South Yarra (15 Simmons St), stop by for a chat or a game, here is the foyer.
Social Media Post of the Week
Forgot to mention it on the podcast but loved the work of the @Dodgers taking over the @LAKings Twitter account. Please tweet in your nominations for social media post of the week to @SportsGeek or @seancallanan.
Our favorite Kings of all-time: Wayne Gretzky Luc Robitaille Simba Larry Martin Luther –@Dodgers pic.twitter.com/5sasL5dLu7 — LA Kings (@LAKings) December 4, 2013
Closing 2 Cents
Listening via iTunes?
Subscribe to the Sports Geek Podcast in iTunes, if you liked the episode please leave a review on iTunes and help spread the word on your networks. Thanks in advance.
See you at SEAT in Salt Lake City
Join us at SEAT Conference in Salt Lake City Utah on July 14-15 2023. Many of our podcast guests are SEAT attendees.
SEAT is the conference where sports technology executives unite to discuss and solve the tech problems the sports industry is facing. Collaboration across multiple tracks of technology, digital and data has helped the sports industry deliver improvements across stadium access, wi-fi, security, fan engagement, social media, digital content, ticketing and sponsorship revenue. Sean Callanan, Sports Geek