In this Sports Geek Podcast we chat to Dan Harbison who has left the sports industry after several years leading the digital efforts of the Portland Trailblazers to take up a new role as head of New Media at Caesars Entertainment in Las Vegas we chat with Dan on ABC Grandstand. On Harf Time we look at ticketing campaigns and promotions gone wrong and with A-League kicking off we take you behind the scenes at season launch and the Power The Game activation to rally fans support online.
More specifically, in this podcast you’ll find out about:
- How you can look at industries outside sports for best practice
- What Dan learned moving from role at Portland Trailblazers to Caesars Entertainment
- Importance of developing brand ambassadors outside sports
- Why Pinterest is a tough fit in sports but works for travel business
- Why less is more when posting on social media
- How Caesars are developing of loyalty programs based on digital actions of patrons
- Learn more about the A-League You Power The Game campaign
- Why the Power The Game mini site was developed with Carter Digital
- Learn about mistakes made with ticketing campaigns so you don't make them
- What does “papering the house” means?
Resources from the episode
- Find Dan Harbison on Twitter (@darbison) and Linkedin or danliveshere.com
- Bleacher Report article as discussed on Harf Time – The Most Desperate Ways Teams Have Tried to Get Fans Through Door
- Check out Carter Digital who built the Power The Game mini-site for A-League
- Iron Pigs provide urinal gaming system
- Recap of #SportsGeekTrip when Sean visited Portland Trailblazers
- Sean spoke with Dan back at conferences in Sydney and Auckland in 2010
- Please leave a question for future Sports Geek Podcast via Speakpipe for Ask Sports Geek episode
- Sounds of the Game from Melbourne Derby opener between Melbourne Victory and Melbourne Heart
- Thanks to David Mackay, DT Talk, Dion Bennett for iTunes reviews in Australian iTunes and USA iTunes.
- Check out Beers, Blokes & Business podcast (BeersBlokesBusiness.com or iTunes or Stitcher)
Check out the A-League Power The Game TVC
Listening via iTunes?
Subscribe to the Sports Geek Podcast in iTunes, if you liked the episode please leave a comment or rating.
If you have a question for the podcast, please leave it using Speakpipe plugin on the left of this page.
See you at SEAT in Salt Lake City
Join us at SEAT Conference in Salt Lake City Utah on July 14-15 2023. Many of our podcast guests are SEAT attendees.
SEAT is the conference where sports technology executives unite to discuss and solve the tech problems the sports industry is facing. Collaboration across multiple tracks of technology, digital and data has helped the sports industry deliver improvements across stadium access, wi-fi, security, fan engagement, social media, digital content, ticketing and sponsorship revenue. Sean Callanan, Sports Geek