This week on Sports Geek Podcast we head out to see the new digs for Essendon Football Club in the AFL now named True Value Solar Centre. I chat with Justin Rodski & Marc Bertieri about the tough year the Bombers had with the ASADA investigation dominating their season and how they plan to bounce back in 2014. On ABC Grandstand with Francis Leach we look at two sides of social media with the #SFBatKid and Sydney FC dealing with trolls. We take a look at new platforms available that teens are migrating to.
On this podcast you’ll find out about:
- How Essendon plan to use True Value Solar Centre to better deliver content to fans
- Why Essendon started #EFCListens in response to ASADA investigation
- How Essendon comms team handled supplements investigation using social media
- Bombers Birthday app built on Facebook to give Bomber fans personalised birthday messages
- How social media helped the world rally around SF Bat Kid
- Why Sydney FC’s Frank Farina spoke out against social media trolls
- How athletes like Socceroos can leverage social media to build their personal fan base
- Find Justin Rodski (General Manager, Communications & Digital Media) from Essendon FC via Twitter(@justinrodski) and Linkedin
- Find Marc Bertieri (Digital Marketing Manager) from Essendon FC via Twitter(@marcbertieri) and Linkedin
- Check out Essendon Football Club and on Facebook and @EssendonFC
- Responding to fans with #EFCListens initiative
- AFL.com.au reports on Essendon FC Supplement scandal
- Essendon FC page on ASADA investigation
- True Value Solar Centre opening
- Essendon FC Birthday app on Facebook – 4000 sign ups so far
- Check out Essendon’s TV Show – The Hangar
- Check out #WarriorsLive Google Hangout
- Previous episodes with West Coast Eagles and Collingwood FC.
- Thank to @Matty_Stevens for the questions on personal branding and breaking into sports digital.
- Sydney FC’s Frank Farina calls out trolls on social media
- Teens are on the move away from Facebook
- Sounds of the game thanks to Brian Gibson from Socceroos via this Instagram video.
- Ep #26 dedicated to former Bombers captain Mark “Bomber” Thompson, although Wade Boggs gets a mention for appearance on The Simpsons
- Like Francis Leach on Facebook and follow @SaintFrankly on Twitter
- Thanks for iTunes reviews in Australian iTunes and USA iTunes.
- Check out BeersBlokesBusiness.com and on iTunes
- Have you signed up for weekly Sports Geek News?
Social Media Post of the Week
Richard spoke about Arsenal Twitter Takeovers last week’s episode, here they recap #AskArsene with a video post on Facebook. Please tweet in your nominations for social media post of the week to @SportsGeek or @seancallanan.
Honorable mention to Dallas Mavericks for parody of Volvo Van Damme ad with owner Mark Cuban.
Well done to FFA’s Brian Gibson on sharing the Socceroos Team sheet with Player Twitter handles.
— The Socceroos (@Socceroos) November 19, 2013
But Shane Harmon’s Westpac Stadium takes out the Social Media Post of the week by trolling Mexico with this tweet, getting press around the world.
— Westpac Stadium (@WestpacStadium) November 13, 2013
Closing 2 Cents
Listening via iTunes?
Subscribe to the Sports Geek Podcast in iTunes, if you liked the episode please leave a review on iTunes and help spread the word on your networks. Thanks in advance.
Don’t use iTunes? Search for “Sports Geek Podcast” on other podcast apps, please let us know if you can’t find it.
Don’t use iTunes?
Search for “Sports Geek Podcast” on other podcast apps, please let us know if you can’t find it.