The NRL 2014 season has kicked off and AFL 2014 season starts this Friday. Here is a breakdown of some of the social media numbers from a team point of view.
Facebook likes and Twitter follower numbers are just one metric to gauge the success of a digital team working for a sports team. At Sports Geek we focus on building the overall audience and reach for a team and then focus on engaging the fans to drive business outcomes.
Some findings on these numbers:
- NRL fans like Facebook more than AFL fans, 2.3M fans vs 2.0M fans with two less teams
- When it comes to Twitter AFL fans out pace NRL by 22% more per club
- Ten teams have more than 200K fans across Facebook and Twitter, while 10 teams have under 100K fans
- Brisbane Broncos & Melbourne Storm lead the way in the NRL edging out Collingwood & Essendon in overall numbers
- However NRL teams average 29% more fans on Facebook than AFL counterparts
- Twitter lags behind Facebook numbers by a far margin 3:1 in AFL and 5:1 in NRL
- The lack of penetration for Twitter into Facebook numbers is alarming, 23% on AFL average and just 16% for NRL teams
- A total of 4.5M fans like NRL & AFL teams this is not a unique fans number though
- At a League level NRL has 666K Facebook fans compared to AFL’s 583K
- On Twitter at a League level @AFL has 209K followers compared to @NRL which has 159K
For terms of comparison there are 13.2M Australians on Facebook (via Facebook Ad Tool) and an estimate of 2.9M Australians on Twitter as there has been no official numbers released by Twitter (Sensis 2013 report)
Please look back at previous analysis of AFL and NRL social media numbers in 2013 comparing leagues around the world and 2011 (battle for social media fans back in March 2011) and (September 2011) as well as SSMI in 2010 in AFL.
AFL Teams Social Media Audience
NRL Teams Social Media Audience
AFL teams on Facebook
How many AFL teams have reached the 200,000 Facebook fan barrier? Collingwood & Essendon
50% of AFL teams have more than 100,000 Facebook fans
What about AFL team averages n Facebook? Sports Geek clients up 51% on AFL average
What about the big number? How many fans like AFL teams on Facebook?
NRL teams on Facebook
How many NRL teams have reached the 200,000 Facebook fan barrier? Broncos, Storm, Warriors & Rabbitohs.
69% of NRL teams have more than 100,000 Facebook fans
What about NRL team averages on Facebook? Sports Geek clients up 13% on NRL average
What about the big number? How many fans like NRL teams on Facebook? Over 300K more fans like NRL teams.
AFL teams on Twitter
Only 2 teams have more than 50,000 Twitter followers, Collingwood and Essendon.
8 AFL teams are yet to reach 40,000 Twitter followers
What about AFL team averages on Twitter? Sports Geek clients up 25% on AFL average
What about the big number? How many fans follow AFL teams on Twitter?
NRL teams on Twitter
No NRL teams have more than 50,000 Twitter followers, but 5 have more than 30,000 followers. Storm, Warriors, Eels, Broncos and Rabbitohs.
11 NRL teams are yet to reach 30,000 Twitter followers
What about AFL team averages on Twitter? Sports Geek clients up 15% on AFL average
What about the big number? How many fans follow NRL teams on Twitter?
Want more analysis?
Please contact Sean at Sports Geek to help your team reach and engage more fans via digital and social.
Available on Slideshare
Disclaimer: Sports Geek works with and has worked with AFL and NRL clubs listed here but numbers are accurate for Facebook and Twitter for 10th March 2014.
Learn what we teach sports teams?
- Review social media platforms which can work for you
- Facebook – Content, Community & Cost
- Joining the conversation on Twitter & Instagram
- Pulling together a strategy that will deliver business results
Special guests Josh Rowe and Steve Sammartino will demonstrate how they have used social media in corporate and advertising world. If you want a leg up on your social media marketing then we’d love to see you there.Grab your ticket to Sports Geek ODE