What a busy week it has been at Sports Geek as we have been working hard on a secret project that has taken the internet by storm the last few days. We have been a patron of the Super Awesome Micro Project over the past 80 weeks, helping a teenage genius Raul Oaida and Melbourne start up guru Steve Sammartino deliver a full sized Lego car to the internet. On this episode I interview Steve about the project on Harf Time just 2 hours after we launched the video and then catch up with microDomination author Trevor Young about how PR & media has picked up the story as it goes viral.
On this podcast you’ll find out about:
- How Super Awesome Micro Project got started
- Challenges when creating content to go viral
- How the lego car actually works
- How we pushed the story our via social media
- Excitement of watching analytics and social chatter around the project
- What it is like to be on the inside when your content takes off
Like this episode? please leave a review in iTunes.
Resources from the episode
- Check out #SuperAwesomeMicroProject & connect with SAMPions, like Super Awesome Micro Project on Facebook
- Connect with Steve Sammartino on Twitter (@sammartino) and on Linkedin, read his blog
- Connect with Raul Oaida on Twitter (@rauloaida) and on Linkedin
- Connect with Trevor Young on Twitter (@trevoryoung) and on Linkedin, check out his PR Warrior blog
- What Steve Sammartino and the #SuperAwesomeMicroProject Can Teach You About Trust, Social Media and the Future of Business by Trevor Young
- Grab Trevor’s book microDOMINATION
- Watch Steve & Raul’s first project the Lego space shuttle
- Perth Wildcats take advantage of Nic Naitanui dunk at half time on YouTube
- Thanks to Sam Laird (@samcmlaird) for Mashable article – Air-Powered Lego Car Is Ultimate Nerd Invention
- Charlie Pickering (@charliepick) mentioning the Lego Car on The Project and from last year’s #TwitterBrekky
- Connect with Jim Stewart (@jimboot) from Stewart Media driving all the SEO & Analytics check out his video blog on the insane stats
- Thanks to Josh Rowe (@joshrowe) for all the photos from the project.
- Big thanks to Mick Russell (@mickrussell_) (video) & Mike Halligan (@mikefromengage) (website) who pulled some big hours to get the project complete.
- Listen to Beers, Blokes & Business #SuperAwesomeMicroProject episode as featured on The Verge, great insight into the project.
- Ep #29 dedicated to former Richmond Tiger and 1116 SEN host Kevin Bartlett.
- Thanks to Harf Time breaking the Super Awesome Micro Project on Twitter, Facebook and on SEN.com.au
- Thanks for iTunes reviews in Australian iTunes and USA iTunes.
- Have you signed up for weekly Sports Geek News?
Watch the Super Awesome Micro Project Video
Social Media Post of the Week
Can’t go past this tweet to launch the #SuperAwesomeMicroProject from @sammartino, Twitter embeds did not exist when we started this project, they have definitely helped it go viral.
— Steve Sammartino (@sammartino) December 18, 2013
1 Million Views in under 2 days
3 Million Views on YouTube
Closing 2 Cents
Listening via iTunes?
Subscribe to the Sports Geek Podcast in iTunes, if you liked the episode please leave a review on iTunes and help spread the word on your networks. Thanks in advance.
Search for “Sports Geek Podcast” on other podcast apps, please let us know if you can’t find it.