Best of Digital Sports World #12
The St George Illawarra Dragons are seeking to appoint a Digital Communications Co-ordinator and are doing so via the Digital Dragon campaign. Keep an eye on YouTube for job applications and follow updates on Twitter via #DigitalDragon. Good luck if you’re applying, shows you need to be in the space to understand the space.
Facebook Places – no longer What you’re doing but Where…
Facebook Places has been launched entering the world of geo-locational social networks. It should be noted that Facebook Places is not yet available in Australia.
Here is what people are saying about the launch:
- Let the Location Wars Begin from @sevnthsin
- Who, What, When, and Now…Where from Facebook Blog
- Facebook Places: A field guide from Mashable
- Location based social networking has sports marketing potential from Australian Sponsorship News [subscription]
Sports mini sites around events & signings will become another tool available to sports marketers. Like We Want Wade previously profiled Bring Back Cardinal does the same for Timberwolves fan favourite Brian Cardinal.
Such is Life – Ben Cousins
Not here to judge or comment on the Ben Cousins documentary there is more than enough commentators on the subject.
However, Channel 7 missed the mark understanding social media with the program.
Problems with execution include:
- After the first break Hamish McLaughlin told everyone to join the conversation with the Twitter account @SuchisLifeBen
- @SuchisLifeBen account not setup at the time, someone obviously setup the account on the night and collected 360 followers
- They did not monitor the hashtags actually being used by TV viewers #suchislife #bencousins
- For part 2 they obviously were not monitoring Twitter that closely and didn’t see the viewer backlash for delaying the start of Part 2 with a panel show
- Additionally they rectified their hashtag to #suchaslifeben to further fragment the conversation
- Kudos to the @AFL for using the #suchaslife hashtag to respond to the documentary but I think it would have been braver to engage the AFL fan base during the show.
For those who missed it here is a clip from Fox Sports.